Savnnah Evacuation Routes
Four Main Evacuation Routes
- US 80 away from the coast towards Statesboro and points northwest.
- SR 204 West to US 280 towards Claxton and points west.
- SR 21 North across I-95 and northward towards Sylvania.
- I-16 West towards Macon.
I-16 Contra-Flow Information:
During a hurricane evacuation, all four lanes of I-16 are turned into Westbound-only lanes until west of Dublin. (Click here for map.) Also, several Savannah Eastbound exit ramps are converted into Westbound entrance ramps. These are:
- West Broad Street
- SR 204/37th Street Connector
- I-516/Lynes Parkway
- Chatham Parkway
- SR 307 between Savannah and I-95
To reduce your traveling time, consider leaving when a voluntary evacuation is issued. Waiting until a mandatory evacuation is ordered can increase your travel time tenfold.
- Make your hotel reservations immediately when a watch is issued. Try to get a reservation at a hotel just outside of the evacuation area.
- Pack several snacks and drinks.
- Leave with a full tank of gas.
- Plan to pay for gas with cash only. Many stores will not except any other forms of payment during an evacuation.
- Bring toys, coloring books, or other items to keep children entertained.
- Put pets in their own carriers. Traveling can be stressful for them and you.
- Carry extra coolant for your radiator, just in case. You may spend several hours in one spot along the way.